Saturday, March 11, 2006

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

The corporate team building thingy was a sleepwalk. My job was to hang around the elevators on the second floor of a hotel downtown. As one of the forty teams got on the elevator, I was to get on with them while pretending to be yacking on the phone, saying certain things that they would be questioned about later. I guess the directions for the teams to get to me were too hard, because I only saw two teams. In three hours. Yawn. I was looking forward to mixing it up performance-wise. Forty teams? Lots of opportunity to come up with weird, funny stuff. Two teams? Not so much. Oh well, they paid me on the spot.

Was comped into the show Tony & Tina's Wedding last night. Enjoyed myself. I'm not really in the demographic the show is aimed at, so I'll hold off on any criticisms I might have about the show itself. Not that I have any. It's the kind of thing you send your parents to. There was a fifty-ish couple at my table, from Port Moody I think, who found it remarkable that there were gay characters. That demographic, know what I mean? But it was fun to watch the good work of some of the cast. It's weird to see these kind of shows when you know people in it. You want to watch their work, but you also really want to play. Finding the middle ground.
I was also quite proud of myself because, for those who knew me back when, I used to be quite the wallflower and had the super-power of making myself invisible. During the ceremony at the church, during the show, I realized that this would be way more fun with a buddy. I looked around and saw a Japanese lady who seemed to also be alone. So after the ceremony I marched over to her and asked " Are you alone?" She responded in the affirmative. "Me too! Wanna buddy up?" She said yeah, so I had a date for the evening. It was cool. She's a journalist from Tokyo writing a story about Japanese students being educated in Canada. Miyuki, was her name. I enjoyed my date with the female Japanese journalist I picked up in a church. Just the kind of thing I would never have done a couple of years ago.

I have some ideas for a play or screenplay. Dunno what it is yet. I'm going to do some writing later.

No comments: