Had a good show tonight. Good energy among the cast and some nice words from audience members afterwards. It helped that there were 70-plus folks in the audience.
My "financial counselling" session wasn't what I expected. It basically consisted of my trustee asking me a list of questions."Have you incurred any debt lately? Any harassing phone calls? Did you understand your forms?"......etc. I really like my trustee. Mostly because he thinks I'm hilarious. You know when you meet somebody who's a great audience? Next time I see him, I'll have to work out some new bits. It was like that with the shrink I was seeing. Nothing better than making your shrink laugh her ass of. I mean, when you WANT her to laugh...... I dunno. Whenever I see people who are in a position of having to help me through something(which means I have to ASK for help and admit mistakes) I go into stand-up comic mode. What's that about?
Just talked to Alex. He's come up with a new drag-name. Rachel Profiling. Heehee. He also called me a cunt and told me he loved me. Back at ya, babe.
Been feeling like I've been censoring myself as I blog lately.(look how hip I am! I used blog as a verb!) Gotta get back to more naked confessional stuff. I know you're looking forward to that! Heh....
Hello? Anyone out there.............? This thing on.......?
5 comments:
When I took a counselling course a couple of years ago, we did role playing with our classmates and whenever I was playing the counsellor and the person I was "counselling" made a joke about her situation or diminished the importance of what she was talking about, I went along with it eagerly, laughing along or nodding emphatically. When I listened to transcripts of our conversations, though, I realized that by doing that I was behaving in a way that would give me the best chance of getting along with the other person, but not in a way that would give me the best chance of *helping* or being a good counsellor, in that I was helping people *avoid* getting to their truths. It was a really hard habit to break, because it (diffusing difficult situations with humour) is my trick, too and an important way of keeping my walls up so I automatically respect it when I see it in other people.
There. Some soul baring for your saturday morning.
sbaaagmp.
I also use humour. I'm not particularly a funny person, but when I'm extremely emotionally uncomfortable, I do stand up routines.
I don't think, cheesefairy, that laughing at the person diffusing through joking necessarily hinders the theraputic relationship - because it puts the person at ease. If that's the ONLY tone, then sure: or if the person is obviously shame building or joking about things not-relevant to the situation at hand. But laughing at one's self diffuses the tension of carrying the egg-on-a-spoon feeling that somehow you're a pit of toxic waste that is unworthy of the name "human". The person laughing with you (as opposed to laughing at you), isn't recoiling in disgust or fear or shock or anger: which I think is helpful.
(( I say that not as a counsellor but as a counsellee who's had some very effective therapy woven with much laughter. ))
arwen - too true.
am I the only one who finds these word verification things truly difficult? I get them wrong all the time!
maybe I should try clicking on the wheelchair icon?
If humour is used to get to the truth, rather than to avoid it, it can be very helpful, and does put both people at ease. That's my completely unprofessional opinion, anyway.
I have trouble with the word verification thingies all the time.
What does happen if we press the wheelchair icon, I wonder?
Post a Comment