TROY by Sinead O'Connor
I'll remember it
Dublin in a rainstorm
sitting in the long grass in summer
Keeping warm
I'll remember it
Every restless night
We were so young then we thought that everything we could possibly do was right
Then we moved
Stolen from our very eyes
And I wondered where you went to
Tell me
when did the light die
You will rise
You'll return
The phoenix from the flame
You will learn
You will rise
You'll return
Being what you are
There is no other Troy for you to burn
And I never meant to hurt you
I swear I didn't mean those things I said
I never meant to do that to you, next time I'll keep my hands to myself instead
Oh, does she love you
What do you want to do?
Does she need you like I do?
Do you love her? Is she good for you?
Does she hold you like I do?
Do you want me? Should I leave?
I know you're always telling me that you love me just sometimes I wonder If I should believe
Oh, I love you
God, I love you
I'd kill a dragon for you
I'll die, but I will rise
And I will return
The Phoenix from the flame
I have learned
I will rise
And you'll see me return
Being what I am
There is no other Troy for me to burn
And you should've left the light on
You should've left the light on
Then I wouldn't have tried and you'd never have known
I wouldn't have pulled you tighter, No I wouldn't have pulled you close
I wouldn't have screamed No, I can't let you go and the door wasn't closed
No I wouldn't have pulled you to me
No I wouldn't have kissed your face
If you wouldn't have begged me to hold you, If we hadn't been there in the first place
Ah, but I KNOW YOU WANTED ME TO BE THERE oh, oh
Every look that you threw told me so
But you should've left the light on
You should've left the light on
And the flames burned away
But you're still spitting fire
Make no difference what you say
You're still a liar
You're still a liar
you're still a liar
4 comments:
Oh, man. That was my song too.
I never listened to Sinead, but those are lovely lyrics.
and many years later, what I consider to be a worthy response to Troy:
Elmo by Holly McNarland (which must be heard, to be believed, as the "Where to you fit in" is HOWLED as much as sung). I've damaged many a car stereo's speaker system with that particular track.
I'm still thinking about Elmo
Elmo 5 o'clock special
I'm still thinking about you
A thousand ways to kill you
I'm still dreaming in pink
Gives me the reason to think
When i lay down my head i'm still okay
When i lay down my head to go to bed
Where do you fit in
Didn't say to come in
Where the hell have you been
I can see you're excited
You can tell you're invited
Justify your evil ways
Make up for lost days
Didn't mean to close the door
When i threw you to the floor
Didn't mean to close the door
On my personal whore
Where do you fit in
You run out of expression
You let me make a suggestion
You've left a scratch on my face
I can see to this day
You're no innocent man
Come and catch me if you can
Didn't have the time of day
But i fucked him anyway
Didn't have the time of day to play
Jeez, Zen, that beats the pants off "The Nymph's Reply To The Shepherd"!
Post a Comment