Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Aaargh.

Shitfuckpissboobs.

Ya know, for years I listened to my friends talk about their relationships, good and bad, and they would say, "Relationships are SUCH work." And I, being a smug, stunted dork, would think to myself, "Well, obviously you're in the wrong relationship. MY relationship doesn't take any work..."

What a dork.

That was the same relationship I ran screaming from last year. What does THAT tell you?

This shit does take work. It's just a matter of figuring out how much you're willing to do.
And how much it's worth to you. And if you're getting what you're putting in. And if you're putting in too much, or too little.

Oy......I'll just leave it at that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the opening epithet. Although, boobs is a rather weak way to end it I think. Unless you were going for a soft ending, like the final pfffft when the air is out of the baloon.
And, yup, relationships are a lot of work.

Deb said...

Boobs is exactly that pffft. It's as if I was thinking "Ah jeez, I can't believe I'm cursing again".

Anonymous said...

Relationships are hard work. But the alternative is too daunting to contemplate. Can you imagine a life with no relationships with anyone? Harsh.

Mrs. Dymund said...

Relationships are lots of work. Any relationships with anybody, platonic or romantic or professional or parental.

As one of those people who spent years telling you how much work my relationships were, I can say that the difference between the good and the bad ones, in my opinion, is that the bad ones feel like nothing but work that you have nothing to show for, and the good ones feel like a project that grows and changes and blossoms for the tending. Then the work is satisfying, because you feel like you've built something pretty cool.

A2000v.1 said...

breathe Deb....relationships are a lot of work, but if you are not taking pleasure or seeing benefit from the work, then you are working too hard, like a hamster in a wheel..... trust me i know i spend an hour a day on a treadmill cursing a blue streak, but its worth it when the endorphins kick in!

Anonymous said...

Yep; seconding dymund and version 1 - they're work, but they should pay off. Relationships should not be retail work. They should be your chosen work.
OOOH, ooh, more analogy...
I imagine if relationships are work, the love part is sort of the paycheque. Big love, big paycheque. But a big paycheque isn't enough: you've got to have some enjoyment of the process of getting your ass there every day...

Anonymous said...

"Shitfuckpissboobs."

Wasn't that a character on Spongebob Squarepants?

Anywho, just seconding the general sentiment of work = love. Or is it, love = work? I have a cronic problem of getting too many things going on my plate, and then neglecting to work on those relationships with family and friends. But they're like house plants - don't water them, and the results are devistating.

My single Peace Lily is doing very well right now, however. Baby steps.

Love, hugs, and Miracle Grow,

-Erin

sean said...

"There is no always forever...just this"

xo

me