Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Pants: The Return

Last April, (I know this because I recalled blogging about it and checked. Note to self:Must get life) I lost a pair of comfy yet semi-dressy black cords. Today I did a clear-out of clothes that I no longer wear, which required pulling drawers out of my dresser. There, underneath the bottom drawer and laying on the floor in a pile of dust-bunnies, were my mislaid pants, accordioned into the corner due to a years' worth of pushing and pulling of the overhead drawer.

Welcome back, pants.

Is it just me, or is "pants" one of the funniest words in the english language? Pants. Look at you, in your pants. My, those are lovely pants. Hey, getta load of these pants. These are my fancy-pants.
Maybe it's just me.....

Well, since I've pulled myself away from the Facebook long enough to write that, I might as well continue...

What have I been up to? Well, I've handed out chocolate samples, wine samples, anti-histamine samples, "goodie-bags" at a hydroponic convention, been a "directional host" at a magnesium convention, been a standardized patient, gonna be setting up chairs, etc. at the Dragon Boat Festival...you know. Same old, same old......
Have had a few auditions. I realized the other day that I've been professionally represented(i.e. have had an agent) for just over a year now. I've booked 3 gigs through her. I know that my ratio of auditions vs. callbacks is pretty high, but it feels like it's been a while since I've booked a callback. The anti-depressant commercial was my second-ever audition through her, so I guess I was spoiled a little, but I've noticed a weird feeling has kind of enveloped me in the last couple of auditions. I think it's this:
Back in the day, when I was "dabbling" in the acting thing, an audition was such a relatively rare experience so I would get quite excited. This excitement would express itself through a debilitating nervousness that would screw the audition for me, but at least I felt excitement. There's a bit of a blah feeling enveloping me in these commercial auditions. Christ, at the very least I should think about the paycheque. Getting one of those is exciting.

Don't get me wrong. I loved shooting those commercials. And I even loved playing that one-note character in the snowboarding movie. I LOVE this shit. My approach to those was the same as if I was playing Lady M in Macbeth. O.k...maybe not, but you get what I mean. I does mean something to me. Working means something. That includes an audition for a laundry detergent.
When you are auditioning for these things, you have no control over what they want. All you can do is try to interpret what you think they want, and do your version of it.
Make it real. I'm good at that.

Yes, the above was something for me to refer to in the future. I find that helpful.

Anyhoo, back to Facebook.
I really have to get out more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the word pants.

Definitely keep making it real.h

Mrs. Dymund said...

My second cousin likes to spell it pance. I guess he thinks his PhD in English makes him special, or something.

'Cause I would never take my lowly BA and respell a word. Or invent a word, like respell. Maybe it runs in the family.

PANCE!!!

Anonymous said...

you THINK I was in between the drawers the whole time. In reality I was out living life. LIVING, I say...if you treat me better this time I might stick around.

Anonymous said...

Dude: you and your anti-depressant are in Michael Moore's new movie.
I'm totally spamming you with this info, because it's so unexpected.