Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'm eating cheese as I write this....

Had a gig as a standardized patient last week. The Standardized Patient Program is this program where they hire actors to pretend to be patients to assist in training doctors. Can't say too much about it as I signed a confidentiality agreement(Oh what? Doctors are going to come to the door and break my kneecaps? Nurses with baseball bats?), but I'm glad the program exists. The idea of training medical staff with actual dealings with patients, this is good. Also, it supplies me with a gig. Also good.
There has been a surfeit of gigs lately. It's "quiet time" in the film & T.V. industry right now, so the auditions have dried up. And, I haven't been exactly busting my ass to fill the time with paying temp gigs. Been able to float on my commercial paycheque, so my lazy-gene has been getting a good work-out, but I can't allow myself to get used to not working because I don't feel like it. Baby-boo-hoo. The cash ain't gonna last forever....
So I'm returning to the land of booze-sampling next week. For the same company I worked for last year. And I'm going to participate in a "music listening session" next week for $50. Yep, I'm going to offer my opinion on some 'adult-contemporary' radio station, and I get to travel to Richmond for the pleasure.
Hey. $50 is $50, but if they play Nickelback, my fee may go up.

Almost forgot to mention...I worked as an usher for the Rolling Stones show last week. That was cool. They put on a good show for a bunch of old farts.
Keith rules.

All of you, my writer-friends(which seems to be most of you...interesting) have been inspiring me. Hey Arwen, remember how in one of my tarot readings, you recommended that I write something about fighting? I think I have an idea finally......
Heh. Working on a writing project. THAT will get me out of the bed-sit and working. Anything but write, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother had one of those patient gigs at one point. He said it was pretty fun. Apparently, they instigated it to help doctors diagnose, but also to check out bedside manners. It seemed for a while that UBC Med school didn't understand the correlation between ONLY accepting students in the 99th percentile, and getting a raging bunch of blunt nerds with no social skills.