The officer, who seemed like a nice enough guy, told me to "challenge the fine, and IF I SHOW UP, just tell the court you'll never do it again, it was just a mistake...etc...etc...IF I SHOW UP. I'm going to check to see if you've ever had an infraction before, and if I see you don't, I'll recommend just a $25 fine. IF I SHOW UP".
I'm not a complete dork when it comes to subtle innuendo, so I filed a challenge. I was honest, though. I could have challenged the charge itself and pleaded not guilty. I mean, the cop wasn't going to show up, right? But I thought honesty-best-policy blah..blah..blah and just disputed the ticket amount.
Good thing I did, because guess who's the first person I saw while entering the hearing room today? My buddy, the Skytrain cop. Thankfully, he did what he said he would, and recommended a $25 fine. I agreed that this was a "fair amount" and shelled out. Poop. Oh well, MUCH better that $173.
I had never stood in front of a judge before. It took everything in my power to not start shouting at the judge "How dare YOU, sir. YOU'RE the one OUT OF ORDER!!!".
I've seen waaaaaay too many movies......
I'm back to the courthouse tomorrow to file the last papers for the divorce. The Christmas gift that keeps on giving.....heh.
Hey! Look at my tree!
1 comment:
Maybe the SkyTrain cop'll show up again, and do the same thing:
"It was an honest mistake you're honour, and I don't think she'll do it again. $25 seems reasonable."
...and then you can bang your shoes on the table and yell "I will BURY you!"
Which is actually, (allegedly, according to Wikipedia) a mistranslation of "We were here before you, and we'll be at your funeral." as spoken by Kruschev to the US while talking about Nukes at the UN.
For whatever that's worth.
That tree kicks ass.
Post a Comment