Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bed, Bath and Beyond!

Still settling into the new digs. Sean has a line on a dresser for me, which is good because I'm getting a bit weary of digging through my suitcase for underwear every morning. I'd rather dig through a drawer for some drawers.

We got a new bed! SO comfy! So much more room than the 'double' we were sleeping in, as I am shacking up with a bed-hog. I'm still getting used to having to walk such looong distances in this place. I mean, it isn't a huge apartment, but compared to the two last places I lived in, it's a palace. There is only one drawback. We're on the third and top floor of a 3-story building, the ground floor being a Gabby's. The mega-fans that aerate the place are directly over our heads in the bedroom, and they hum everyday between 11am to 2am or so. I don't mind it too much, as I just pretend that I'm on an ocean cruise, but it tends to drive Sean and his super-human hearing nutso. Should we staple cork to the ceiling? Eggshell cartons? Would that work?

We went to see Bob Saget perform last night. Sean's brother bought him tickets for Christmas. He's funny, but it was a surprisingly tame show. I mean, I was expecting to be offended at least once! He seemed distracted by people shouting out requests for certain jokes. Who does that? Goes to see a stand-up comic and yells out requests for jokes they've heard already? Am I weird for asking?

Haven't been out too party or anything much since I got here. Gotta watch my pennies until I get a job, and....it's kind of cold out. Yes! It's true! Ontario can be chilly in the winter! It sucks to wait 20 minutes for a bus. It sucks MORE to wait 20 minutes when it's -10'C. I'm not actually complaining, because I'm LOVING the snow. It's dry! My explorations of the city so far have been mostly near subway stops. I'll be more confident getting lost(which is a great way to learn a city) when it warms up a wee bit. I'm wishing I had a better internal compass. For example, when I leave a subway station and know that I have to go west on the street to get where I'm going, for a second I'm all discombobulated and don't know which way is what. Hopefully, that will come with time. I do know that if I can see the hovering spaceship containing our alien over-lords, that way is south. But sometimes there's a tall building in the way, and I can't fricken' see it! Yes, I had that experience today while visiting Sean at his work. I get to see free movies when he's working, and I decided to exploit that today. I should take advantage of this often while I'm enjoying unemployment.

There's a definite buzz here, a certain life to the streets. I think part of the reason I haven't gone out at night much is I'm stymied by options! You should see the concert listings in the local entertainment rags, for bands playing at clubs. Bands you've heard of!

I'm thinking an evening bath is in order. Sorry to keep going on and on about my tub, but I just spent 5 years sharing a bathroom with strangers. I never felt comfortable having a soak, because "What if someone needs the potty?", and "Who's floating hairs are those? Eww.." I feel like I've hit the tub-related lottery. That alone was worth the move.

2 comments:

clara said...

Mmm. Baths.

Arwen said...

OH MY GOD My RSS feed to your site broke or something. I didn't realize you were ACTUALLY blogging. JEEZ.