Wow! When I decide that I don't feel like blogging anymore, I sure commit!
Sorry....I just haven't felt like it. I mean, what? "Today at the CALL CENTRE, while asking someone their opinion about their Hydro service, I realized that I haven't had an audition in a month...."
Yeah, it's about as exciting to post as it is to read. Fugedaboutit.
A couple of months ago, after deciding to embark on the thrill-ride that is a long-distance relationship(Anyone else had one of these? Any advice?), I realized that if I really wanted to go see Sean and "the Centre of the Universe", which I did BADLY, I had better start working to get the cash to go. Over the past couple of years, financially, I'd been using the "Oh, SOMETHING will come up" philosophy. Which more often than not worked. Would usually book an ad or something. But not THIS year, let me tell you.....the usual gigs with promotions and the like seemed to dry up too. Sending out resumes to 10 advertised positions would result in maybe 2 responses. It's this DAMN ECONOMY, see.
Hell, I haven't had much success in getting auditions for plays and indie-stuff either.
This year has been a financial learning experience in that I can take nothing for granted, AND that I must never drop the creative ball as far as my career goes. I'm ACHING to work.
One good career related thing is that a local Film&TV casting director actually requested me to come in and audition last month, for a teeny-tiny part on a show. The part had ACTUAL LINES. I got to SPEAK. Didn't actually GET the part, but still.....one wall broken down, or at least partly scaled. Got good feedback.
See, part of the 'life' of an actor is to try to see progress in ANYTHING. Hahaha...
I have only been doing this 'professionally' for just over three years, and the amount of stuff collected on the resume in that time isn't too bad.
I think the reason I bring this up is that I want to go to Toronto and RELAX for a bit. Enjoy my holiday and my love, without berating myself that I 'should' be spending the money on new headshots or that I'll be missing auditions or it's time I could spend on getting a new agent, etc. blah blah blah.......I can get SO creative with new and exciting ways to beat myself up, or questioning decisions...fuck it.
I'm going to Toronto this week for 14 days and I CANNOT WAIT....everything else CAN.
1 comment:
OH! I *was* in a long distance relationship for awhile and I *do* have advice! Get two phone extensions, and listen to one on either ear, when you're having a conversation.
It's like they're IN THE ROOM.
Post a Comment