Alrighty, first thing's first........due to a fit of pique and a hilarious sitcom-style misunderstanding on my part, I deleted a previous post, which I now regret. To those interested in the unending saga of my love life (ie: pretty much just me), the fella and I are still friends.
And it's really great.
Anyhoo....
I have been REALLY BUSY. Recently, I went through a 5 or 6 week period without a single audition. I figured the 'winter quiet time' in the film and t.v. industry was hitting ME early this year, so I went and got a full-time job-job making gift baskets. A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from a local theatre-director guy, who I auditioned for last January for a production he was doing in early spring. I didn't get that part, but he was impressed enough to remember me. He asked if I would step in and replace an actor who had to drop out of his current production of a new musical. He must have worked his way down a list before he called me. "Don't worry", he said,"You wouldn't have any singing-solos and only a couple of dancing bits among the chorus. You'll be playing a shrink and it pays a $100 honourarium. It's a "work-shop" performance and the run is only 2 nights."
Me? In a musical?...........Why the hell not? Yikes.
The first rehearsal was rather intimidating. I guess I figured it would be a bunch of actors struggling and hamming their way throught the songs. Dunno why I thought that. Possibly because that was MY plan but instead the cast was mostly ACTUAL SINGERS who can REALLY SING and READ MUSIC and everything. Gulp....
Even though we had an extremely limited rehearsal schedule, the shows went pretty well. Everyone took turns forgetting their lines. I'm not hugely proud of my work......but I was in a MUSICAL, dammit! My favourite thing about it was dancing in a "Fosse"-type number. A lot of fun. And I finally got to perform in the Cultch, one of my favourite venues. Also, I received my honorarium, and it was $300, not $100. Nice...........
So, that's what was keeping me busy during my nights and weekends, now my days....
Inexplicably, and quite surprisingly, I've had commercial auditions almost everyday for the past 2 weeks. A couple for T.V. shows as well. Which has meant going to work in the early A.M. making baskets, unloading pallets and being a 'box-boy', then changing and flying out the door shouting my apologies to my employers, to run across town to an audition, after which I turn around and fly back to work to continue until the evening. They've been cool about it so far. I feel like I inadvertantly mislead them, because at my initial interview, I told them I was an actor, but that there was nothing going on right now. Oops. Heh heh. Well.....plans change.
Here's hoping I book one of these babies. I would love to have a gig before the end of the year. I have a callback tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.
3 comments:
Busily crossing for you.
Just wanted to say the show was great. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but considering the short amount of time to prep, that was a great show.
You were damned funny, too.
I'm so, so sorry that we were too poor to come out and see you. But I'm so glad that it was such a huge success! And GO YOU with your auditions!
*fingers crossed*
Post a Comment